In the event of an emergency I will gather all the children and safely make our way to the front door, which provides easy access to the street. Once we are safely away from the house I will call the Emergency Services. In the event that we can’t get safely out of the house I will take the children to the furthest away room from the emergency, close all doors and seal the door with towels or similar items, and I will then call the Emergency Services.
I have 1 main-powered smoke alarm and Carbon Monoxide Alarm fitted which are tested every week. I have a Fire Blanket fitted in the kitchen . I have carried out a Fire Safety Risk Assessment for my premises, a record of which is kept on file and is available for parents to check.
I have a fire escape route which will be kept clear at all times.
In order to keep the children and myself safe I have developed the following procedure to evacuate my home in the event of an emergency.
This may be as a result of a fire, flooding, gas leak etc.
The children will practice the evacuation procedure with me so they will not be alarmed in the event of the situation being real.
- Sound the alarm
- Evacuate the children using the safest and nearest exit available (Babies and toddlers will be carried to safety)
- Attendance Record for the day
- Contact numbers
- Mobile phone
- Assemble across the road from the house (at the end of the garden if leaving via the rear of the house)
- Contact the emergency services
- Comfort and reassure the children
- Arrange safe place for the children to stay until parents can collect them
- Follow the instructions of the Emergency Services
- Do not return to the building until the Emergency Services have declared it safe to do so.